Thursday, September 2, 2010

May 6th, 1994! Check me out, Im fighting!

May 6th, 1994 - Yankees host the Red Sox
16 "mystery outs???"


Not much to this one. This was one of those days when I was deep into my cups. Sensing a pattern, folks?

Our hated foes, Boston, were in town, and the first thing I note is a Gavin McLeod lookalike in Orioles garb. What the fu*k was an Orioles fan doing there, especially one that looked like the Captain of the Love Boat? Mind your business! You ever notice those schmucks who do the whole kit and kaboodle? This guy had an Orioles sweatshirt and an Orioles cap on. And we shredded him. Even Crapman the vendor, who had strapped two Yankee flag pennants to his box of wares, had a laugh at his expense.

My drinking could be excused, by both family and clergy, as it was, after all, a Friday night in the Bronx. I even had the temerity to complain about the style and structure of my physical scoresheet on here, saying "I dont have a good fu*king scoresheet." Well....all the years I continued to score out there, another 500 or more games over another decade or so, I used those same ones. They served me well, in retrospect, tally ho!

Under "date" I put, "haven't had one for a while" - got to love self-depracating humor! By the simple fact I was scoring so many games, you know I was telling the truth on that.

Jimmy Key was on the hill for the Yankees, which meant Pops was probably somewhere in the Stadium cause as he attested way too many times, he never missed a Jimmy Key game. I sure hope he wasnt the buffoon that stood up and yelled "You got the key!!" which was saved for posterity on here.

Ah, another celebrity siting - "Kenny Loggins" was walking around Section 39. So we sang Footloose at him. Someone actually snuck beer into the Stadium in a shampoo bottle...I suppose they had a toiletry bag with them....how much could a shampoo bottle even hold, 8 ounces? What a waste. I hope they got soap residue in their mouth.

I see we spent the entire bottom of the 5th having a "rotissierie discussion" How bout that, it was the days before it was simply called "fantasy baseball." These days, with the potbellied crew we came to be, a "rotisserie discussion" would have to involve chicken.

Even then the words "God's a Yankee fan" made the scorecard. Oh, did we love to rub that in Boston fan faces.

Hey, check me out! I got in a fight! I am a regular Lennox Lewis! My friend Dave Kelly who is now a DC powerbroker was on hand, and scrawled the account - and what a tale he transcribed! Here it is....."T gets in a fight" Vivid!

I remember this. Actually, what happened is I jumped into a fight. One of the clues that kept this in my memory bank over the years is the quotes "be careful" and the reply underneath "I am tryin' to watch a fight, ok?"

What happened was this.... A set-to sparked behind us and to the right, and before punches could fly I decided to head on up. Someone went to stop me and hit me with the "be careful" line when I said I was rolling over there, and as I pulled my arm away I slurred, "I am tryin to watch a fight, ok?"

Well, I did more....when the fight started I jumped in, right on the pile. I remember that much, I have no idea why I jumped in. I do know that there was a guy out there we dubbed "jerk in the box" cause he kept popping up and down from his seat, and I think the fight involved him. I also had scrawled "I cant believe those guys are standing up there scot free" sometime during the game, that probably referred to a group I wanted out for some reason.

This set-to went down in the bottom of the 6th. I was allowed to stay - they seemingly would only throw me out when I was innocent of all charges. I was always able to stay when I totally broke the rules. The only other hint as to who was involved in the fight was a nod to "Mets suck guy" - I believe this was who I came to the defense of.

As far as I recall, this was my first fight out there - there are a couple of more to come in time.

There are all kinds of "mo's" on here - mystery outs. There are also scrawls in the margin like "I think he stole second" and "I believe he was struck by a batted ball" with a line connecting it to a box where the only thing written in there is "out."

What a mess. This thing is totally illigeable. I dont know why I bothered, or people let me do it. For Christs sake, I am seeing 16 mo's on here, and a whole missing half inning (top of the 7th, just after the fight. I was probably answering questions proffered by Johnny Law, who hit the scene)

The only other marks of note on here was a "We want Zupcic" chant (he was a favorite target in 93/94, usually in center when Boston was in town, but nowhere to be found that evening) and a notation that The Gay Games were coming to NY (and Yankee Stadium) - there are no jokes regarding that here, but believe me, they are coming on another scorecard on a night that seemed like "rip the Gay Games night."

I also marked down what was really an innocous quote that could have been said regarding anything ("I liked the way you worked that in there" ) but I found funny, as it had sexual overtones. These were the Beavis and Butthead days, remember.

I was back in the "having a fan autograph the scorecard" mood, as some guy named Chris (something) signed, writing "going to Hawaii" underneath. Well, whoopie! I also found it important to note that Ali rang his first cowbell at 6:53 that evening.

The pitching lines are bare - I simply marked the names of the starters, Key and Aaron Sele. So its time to check retrosheet....I cant tell much of anything game related from the scorecard either, this really is a mess - aside from the fact that the Yankees scored 3 in the bottom of the 4th.

And it seems, checking online now, those 3 runs held up, as the Yankees notched a 3-1 victory. Key upped his record to 5-1 with a complete game, giving up the 1 run on 4 hits and ZERO walks. He struck out two. Nice. Sele lasted into the 6th, when he was relieved by good old Paul Quantrill, that fu*khead. Quantrill was in his second campaign in the bigs, in a year where he ended up starting 14 of 49 appearances, going 6-12. He was in a Boston uniform and I hated him, but I found him intriguing cause he shared the name of Civil War guerilla warrior William Quantrill. Tony Fossas (who was getting old even then but would never leave) and Greg Harris also pitched in for the Bosucks.

The only extra base hit of the game was by Tim Naehring (who went on to become a highly regarded farm director in the minor leagues) and the Yankees had only 7 singles of their own in what was a quick moving affair.

I see at least 3 notations of where I was "buying beer" so hooray me as the game only went TWO HOURS AND THIRTEEN MINUTES so I was doing some work. Whens the last time you saw one of those? Your umpires were none other than Ted Hendry, Mark Johnson, Chuck Meriwether, and Drew Coble, and 30,979 were on hand .

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment