Monday, August 9, 2010

August 20, 1993 - F U K C!

AUGUST 20th, 1993 - Yankees host the Royals
F U K C!


Somehow it looks like I am missing TEN HOME GAMES IN A ROW FROM THE STADIUM. I have NO idea what would have happened here. Along that course, I missed a series against our forever foes, the Red Sox. Maybe I took time off from scoring games, maybe some scorecards are missing from my filing system.....who knows....maybe I was drunk in a ditch somwhere, but something seems awry.

That said, I was in house on the 20th against the "Bore-ls" as named on the scorecard. A stretch at making fun of the Royals name, yes, but you work with what you got.

The "F U K C!" chant was in full form. Under date I scrawled "who needs one?" and the game was played at "storm central" so I figure rain was in the forecast. None other than Domingo Jean was starting for the Yankees, against our good buddy Tom Gordon, ID'd on the card as "Flash" but the way he had been pitching, maybe it should have been "Flush."

Before the game Wade Boggs received a "defensive player of the month" award. No one cared, it got a "?????" on the scorecard. There was the normal run of quips, like "Hey, Winnie the Pooh wants his shirt back" and "You realize your bow tie is causing all this anxiety?" to some schmoe in, yes, a bow tie.

Brian McRae was in centerfield. Sometime earlier in the season he was hit with a pitch and instead of rushing the mound he dropped his bat and charged the opposing manager in the dugout. I THINK it was Tony LaRussa, but I may be wrong. But, needless to say, he was absolutely pulverized when he got there. We took this occassion to chant "charge the bleachers!" at him. His buddy Felix Jose out in right was hearing a resounding "Way To K Jose!" chant all night, as he led off the game with the big whiff. He also clocked a home run later, but what the Hell.

Another quote I am not sure on, but sounds funny is "you cant curse them, but you can marry 4 of their women." I was not good at explaining jokes those days, but they sure look like they could be funny, so I wrote them down.

Ah, noting here "storm central" was right on the money, as there was rain. At least, I am seeing a note in the 3rd that the "rain stopped." As to any delays or the like, nothing. Dont ask me.

I was called a "pen expert" cause I already was very finnicky about my pens. Anyone out there who has tried to lend me a pen knows exactly what I am talking about without me going into great detail here.

Ah, the game autographs. Here is a good one...."I love women, but I would make love to Don Mattingly" - signed "The Animal." Damn, how can you not miss this guy. Another guy named Joe Rucci (?) signed, framing it with a neat 8/20/93. I should look for this guy on Facebook.

The rest of the quips involved some storied ex-members of the Yankee bullpen, which back in the day was scarier than a Halloween hayride. "Thanks for 3 great years, Cadaret!" someone hollered. "Every Yankee fans dream...Cadaret and Habyan on the same night!" made the top of the scorecard. Habyan was booed heavily on the way in, that much is noted. I called it a "good boo." Its funny, Billy Brewer finished things off for the Royals, and I simply called this then neophyte "the unknown soldier" not realizing this rookie would go on to have a pretty pedestrian career for himself.

Some girl stole my cigar. Lit it, didnt get to smoke it, she took it and that was that. Smoked it herself, apparently. And poor Syphillis Joe almost got into a fight, everyone turned on the guy he was exchanging pleasantries with and got him tossed out of there. I dont have any reasons for this exchange, but Joe was known to mix it up here and there with the verbal banter.

Your musical entertainment, courtesy of the Bleacher Creatures, was the dirty romp "Barnicle Bill The Sailor." Syphillis Joe surely had a hand in that.

"Left field assholes!" was chanted, and broken up by Ali and his ill-timed cowbell. Ali was a major bucket of water on any fiery flareups up there....if he did not like what was going on chantwise, he would start clanking the bell and that was that. I guess the Blue Jays were still in first place, cause a "Blue Jays suck!" chant made the scorecard.

I see instead of writing the standard "mo's" for mystery outs, I used Phil Rizzuto's famous "ww" for "wasnt watching." There was only one, with Matt Nokes closing out the 8th for the Yankees. Shit, are there some crazy "mo" and "ww" amounts coming up in the future...

Out on the field Mr Jean had a nice evening for himself, hurling 7 innings of 2 run ball as the Yankees costed to a 7-2 win. Gordon was tattered, giving up 3 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks in 5 innings of work before our buddies Cadaret and Habyan marched out to the mound. Danny Tartabull smacked a home run for the Yankees while going 2-3 with 2 runs and 2 RBIs, and Mattingly and Mike Gallego each tossed in 2 RBIs of their own. Paul Assenmacher actually hurled 2 innings of hitless ball to end the Royals evening with grim tidings.

I see Mike McFarlane batted cleanup for the Royals...thats kind of funny. So was his passed ball he was charged with. George Brett was still hanging around, racking up a 1-4 evening with 2 Ks. Tony Gwynn's brother Chris was in left for the Royals, and took some heat for basically not being his brother.

A crowd of 29,758 came out on this Friday night....I am surprised this scorecard was so legible (and devoid of really funny stuff, too) considering it was a Friday, and even then those games had quite the rep. Your umpires for this affair were the late Durwood Merrill, John Hirschbeck, Tim Welke, and Drew Coble.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment